Edward Cherton (January 26, 1800 - July 1874) was an English churchman and Spanish scholar. He was born January 26, 1800 in Middleton Cheney, Northamptonshire, the second son of Ralph Cherton, archdeacon of St. David. He was educated at Charterhouse and Christ Church in Oxford, where he continued B.A. 1821, and M.A. 1824. After receiving his degree, he returned to his old school and was for several years assistant master at Dr. Russell. In 1830, Cherton left the Charterhouse to become the trustee of the rector of Hackney, London, John James Watson, and then his father-in-law; and for a short period of time he was the principal of the English school at Hackney. In 1834, Archbishop William Howley gave him the life of ale monks in Suffolk, and eighteen months later, Bishop William Van Mildert granted him the superiority of Crake. Cherton left Oxford before the movement of the tracts arose, but to a large extent sympathized with him; he was one of the 543 members of Convocation who thanked the proctors for their attitude towards the alleged denunciation of Tract XC. He remained in Craike until his death. In 1841, Archbishop Edward Venables-Vernon-Harcourt appointed him to the Neiresboro Stall in York Cathedral, and in 1846, Archdeacon Cleveland. After the death of his younger brother, the Rev. William Ralph Cherton (September 8, 1802 - August 29, 1828), he called his son William Ralph Cherton the younger (1837-1897).